      From: Peter Burke <pburke@...>
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Food; MTR to Whitney Portal
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, September 2, 2009, 5:30 AM

      Two options

      - eat less

      - hang excess food with the old counter balance method. Between MTR and
      Pinchot Pass it is still legal to do so.

      There are no bear lockers before you get to Woods Creek.

      Sleeping with your food is about the dumbest thing I can think of -
      actually, I bet Gary Larson already thought of that. Crunchy, with a
      chewy center...

      Peter

      skdupre wrote:

      > July 2010 Trip. Plan to resupply at MTR w/ 10 days of food. I'm
      > reading where it's near impossible to store that much food in a
      > canister. What do folks in this group suggest for handling "overflow"
      > food for the first few days out of MTR? I just read a report where
      > they slept with the Mountain House in the foot of their sleeping bags.
      > It would be VERY helpful if there were camps (1 and 2 days out)
      > outside of MTR (heading south) with Bear Boxes. Let me hear your
      > suggestions. ...
      >
      > Red Buffalo

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic