5830Re: [John Muir Trail] Food; MTR to Whitney Portal

  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Sep 2, 2009
      Say what you might want to look into is renting a bearikade expendition. I beleave it cost you $50 for the hold JMT it 900 cu in 200 more than the bearvault 500. They say it can supply you for up to 9 days. The first day u leave that food out because by the end of the day you would have eaten it. But if you can find a point where you can resupply in the somewhere else as the other suggested it will be better. But that is a lot a weight you have to carry. Ed

      From: "herbstroh@..."
      Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:45:03 -0400
      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Food; MTR to Whitney Portal

      As Peter suggests, you can legally hang food all the way to Pinchot
      (assuming you are SOBO)which is around 50 miles or so. By then your food
      should fit in. You might also run the numbers to see if you can knock out
      the miles in 8 or 9 days by adding a couple hours hiking to each day. If
      time and effort is no issue, you could hike out over Kearsarge and
      resupply--adding 2-4 days depending on how hard you want to work. Roleigh
      suggests using a pack service, which is also an option but will be pricey
      unless you can split the cost with someone else.

      Fitting 10 days in a can is not impossible, but would take very careful
      planning and repackaging. I would carry the gear to counterbalance just in
      case. And if unfamiliar with the task, practice it at home before you go.
      Its not hard to do, but when its cold/wet/windy and getting dark you don't
      want to be counterbalancing for the first time.

      Herb