5829Test of changes to message format

    Sep 2, 2009

      Dan Braun has kindly added me as a co-owner of the Group and I have made several changes in the available options, based on my reading of the consensus that arising from our recent discussions.  Most of these changes reflect advances in the technology available since the time Dan originally established the group.

      I believe the changes will allow you to include photos in your postings if your e-mail system allows you to embed photos.  However, in consideration for people who have slow connections to the Internet, photos will appear as links.  Click on the link and you can see the photo.  If your connection is slow, or you aren't interested in the photo, just ignore the link.

      At this point in my e-mail to the group (the one you are presently reading), I've tried to insert several jpeg photos to test the capability of the new system.  I think they should come to you as links.  I'd appreciate it if some of you would click on the links and see if the photos them embed themselves into your e-mail.  Note that some people have e-mail settings that will give a warning before embedding a photo.  You may have to click on something that allows the photo to display.

      Black diamond lightsabre bivy.jpg

      Above link should lead you to a picture of a yellow hooped bivy.

      805ecfbf-31b1-472c-a05c-2b5d23288910.jpg

      Above link should lead you to a picture of a folding dinnerware set.

      The changes I made should also support embedded weblinks where you can go to a site by clicking on a link (The site formerly required cutrting and pasting URLs).  The following is a test of that feature.

      Folding dinnerware set from REI

      If these features don't work for you, assuming that they work for others, you may have a membership setting that causes Yahoo suppress some features -- in the interest of sending you more compact e-mails.  Long-time users who formerly had slow internet connections may have selected this option but may want to change it now.  To check your setting, log onto the group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail and Click on the "Edit membership" link (it is above the prominent blue bar which identifies the group) and look at the setting under "Step 3 - Message Preference".  If it is set as "Traditional", consider changing it to "Fully Featured".

      I also made changes to the group description and to the welcoming e-mail to new members.  Please feel free to suggest any further changes or say that you preferred the original wording:

      Description of site on its homepage: This is an open forum for discussion of the John Muir Trail. Whether you are a thru-hiker or plan to use the trail to access other parts of the Sierra, please feel free to take part. This site also connects with other Yahoo clubs related to the Pacific Crest Trail, California's High Sierra and Sequoia/Kings Canyon. To prevent spam, new memberships are approved by moderators, but membership is open to all. Please visit our files and links area for help in planning your trip, but feel free to ask questions or just listen to the discussions. You will find that questions will often generate helpful answers, often expressing a range of views. This group prides itself on good manners and welcomes "newbie" questions.

      Welcoming e-mail sent to new members:

      Hello,

      Welcome to the johnmuirtrail group at Yahoo! Groups, a free, easy-to-use email group service. Please take a moment to review this message.

      This is an open forum for discussion of the John Muir Trail and related topics. Please visit our files and links area for help in planning your trip, but feel free to ask questions or just listen to the discussions. You will find that questions will often generate helpful answers, often expressing a range of views. This group prides itself on good manners and welcomes "newbie" questions.

      To see files, links and photos -- or to learn more about the johnmuirtrail group -- please visit

      To start sending messages to members of this group, log into the Group online and click on "Post" or -- and this is usually easier for most members -- simply send an email addressed to johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com.

      Important note: If, when you joined the group, you directed Yahoo to "hide" your e-mail address, you will not be able to post messages by sending an e-mail.  But you can send messages to the group by visiting the site online, logging in, and clicking on "Post".

      end of welcoming message

    • Show all 36 messages in this topic