5522Re: bear canister and gloves

  • cjoslyn99
    Aug 3, 2009
      Definitely bring some gloves. Don't trust that there will be a supply at the bottom of the cables or that you'd want to wear them afterwards (bacteria, viri and whatever yuk). A good set of gardening gloves with sticky grips work well (either the ones w/ rubber dots or better yet rubberized over the whole hand).

      As for bear can, it really depends on the size of your pack and weight distribution. I have a Bear Vault (BV-500) and it fits horizontally inside my Gregory z65. It sits up towards the top of my pack but not so high or so far back that it alters my center of gravity too much (i.e., no tippy-ness). Makes for easy access too. That's actually one of the reasons I bought the Gregory over the Osprey Atmos (which made me feel like I was being pulled backwards). You may need to experiment a bit to figure out where the can fits you best for your Osprey, but if you can get it centered in the upper shoulderblade area, that would probably do the trick. If not, better for it to feel a bit heavy on top than to be off balance.