      From: Bill Plesha <backpackerman@...>
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] bear canister and gloves
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, August 3, 2009, 1:44 PM

      Patty,

      Gloves are a good idea on the cables. Generally, there are spare gloves at the base, but to be safe, I'd bring along a pair.

      Regarding the bear canister it really should go inside your pack. As you said, putting it on top will make you top heavy (even though some of the photos will show it mounted on top).

      I actually had to go out and buy a new, larger pack to accomodate my canister for my upcoming trip.

      Ideally, you would want to have it in your pack lying on its side near the bottom (say above your sleeping bag). If it won't go in sideways then standing up would be the second best alternative.

      Good Luck,

      Bill P.