520Re: Food per day

  • lostimnot
    Jun 30, 2002
      I think how much food you take is one of the biggest areas where
      weight can be saved. As I don't cook much at home I just have a
      freeze-dried whatever for dinner; turkey jerky, fruit, and gorp for
      lunch, and instant oatmeal. It doesn't go much over one pound I
      don't think, but I don't weigh it as carefully as my base weight
      items. I almost always take more than I eat and am happy to find
      Yogi on the trail. I could lose 10 or 15 pounds, so skinnier hikers
      probably would need to take more. I often lose a few pounds if I'm
      out a week or more. Bob R

      --- In johnmuirtrail@y..., "dive_hike" <dive_hike@y...> wrote:
      > Bob,
      > For myself, I need about 1.5 pounds of food per day or I get REAL
      > hungry. I wouldn't short the food. For a 9 day hike, I would
      > normally bring about 13 1/2 pounds of food.
      >
      > Of course, the "Yogi-ing" is pretty good in the National Parks
      (most
      > hikers bring too much food and are willing to share).
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic