      From: hmdsierra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Fuel Question
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 3:26 PM

      I passed this past my old backpacking friend who was postmaster in the small town of Bodfish, CA. Here is his response.

      Well, as a drone behind the counter, I wouldn't accept it. If asked to, I would have shown the regulation forbidding the shipment. Unless things have changed over the last 9 years, it is not mailable. Hard to figure where his regulations are coming from, no reference to a particular manual and there are many.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@.. .> wrote:

      > Actually you can mail fuel canisters via USPS unless something has changed in the last month or so. The requirements are specific (see below) and there have been instances of people getting flak at the post office even after pointing out the reg. But as the previous reply indicated there no need to. The stuff is readily available and can also be obtained on the trail at the usual resupply points.

      > US Postal Service regulations regarding shipping butane and isobutane:3. 0 GASES (HAZARD CLASS 2) Definition3. 1Hazard class 2 consists of three divisions:a. Division 2.1, Flammable Gases. A material that is a gas at 68°F (20°C) or less and 14.7 psi (101.3 kPa) of pressure. Flammable gases also include materials that have a boiling point of 68°F (20°C) or less at 14.7 psi (101.3 kPa) and that are ignitable at 14.7 psi (101.3 kPa) when in a mixture of 13% or less by volume with air or that have a flammable range at 14.7 psi (101.3 kPa) with air of at least 12% regardless of the lower limit. These conditions must be established in accordance with ASTM E681-85, Standard Test Method for Concentration Limits of Flammability of Chemicals, or other approved equivalent method. The flammability of aerosols must be determined using the tests specified in 49 CFR 173.306(i).b. Division 2.2, Nonflammable, Nontoxic Gases. A material that does not meet the
      definition of Division 2.1 or 2.3 and exerts in its packaging an absolute pressure of 40.6 psia (280 kPa) or greater at 68°F (20°C).c. Division 2.3, Toxic Gases. A material that is poisonous by inhalation and is a gas at 68°F (20°C) or less and a pressure of 14.7 psi (101.3 kPa) or a material that has a boiling point of 68°F (20°C) or less at 14.7 psi (101.3 kPa). Mailability3. 2Gases are prohibited in international mail. Toxic gases in Division 2.3 are prohibited in domestic mail. Flammable gases in Division 2.1 are prohibited in domestic mail via air transportation, but are permitted via surface transportation if the material can qualify as an ORM-D material and meet the standards in 3.3 and 3.4. Nonflammable gases in Division 2.2 are generally permitted in the domestic mail via air or surface transportation if the material can qualify as an ORM-D material and meet the standards in 3.3 and 3.4. Container3.3An other-than-metal primary receptacle
      containing a mailable gas may be acceptable if the water capacity of the primary receptacle is 4 fluid ounces (7.22 cubic inches) or less per mailpiece and the primary receptacle meets 49 CFR requirements. Mailable nonflammable and flammable compressed gases are acceptable in metal primary receptacles that have a water capacity up to 33.8 fluid ounces (1 liter or 61.0 cubic inches), depending on their internal pressure. A DOT 2P container must be used as the primary receptacle if the internal pressure is from 140 to 160 psig at 130°F (55°C). A DOT 2Q container must be used as the primary receptacle if the pressure is from 161 to 180 psig at 130°F (55°C). A container with an internal pressure over 180 psig at 130°F (55°C) is prohibited from mailing. Mailable flammable compressed gases are restricted to 33.8 fluid ounces (1 liter) per mailpiece. Mailable nonflammable compressed gases are permitted in individual 33.8 fluid ounce (1 liter) containers
      that must be securely packed within an outer shipping container. Each mailpiece must not exceed a totalweight of 25 pounds. Marking3.4For surface transportation, packages of mailable gases must be clearly marked on the address side with "Surface Only" or "Surface Mail Only" and "ORM-D" immediately following or below the proper shipping name (consumer commodity). For air transportation, packages must be plainly and durably marked on the address side with "ORM-D AIR" immediately following or below the proper shipping name and must also bear a shipper's declaration for dangerous goods.