45768Re: [John Muir Trail] Blog Post Idea

    Aug 7, 2014
      Ray - Mine is pretty similar. Main difference is "Second breakfast" and "Second Dinner". Kudos to The Hobbit for giving me the idea.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_breakfast#In_literature_and_film

      I make really big versions of my cooked meals. Breakfast (cooked at maybe 8 am after some hiking) ends up about 24 oz of hot cereal, ghee and maple syrup  Dinner (cooked at a 4 or 5 pm break) typically fully fills a 32 oz. JetBoil once it is finished (usually based on TJ Harvest Grains Blend and some kind of dry soup with some form of meat and fat, like a bacon confit).

      I can't eat that much food at one sitting, even if it did stay hot enough to be palatable.

      So I immediately fill a 12 or 16 oz. Polypropylene plastic jar with the hot food. Jar goes immediately into a DIY cozy made of multiple layers of Relfectrix (available by the yard at OSH).

      Second breakfast is separated from First Breakfast by 60-90 minutes of hiking.

      Second Dinner is typically 90 to 120 minutes after First Dinner. (Sometimes I will leave the bearcan and cookstove on the JMT and do a twilight side trip to a high lake and have second dinner just before retiring for the night, finishing the last of the food I have with me.)

      A well-designed 12- or 16-oz jar cozy will keep food hot for up to 2 hours quite well.

      Cozy looks roughly like this. Round pieces of Reflectrix -- that insulate the underside and top surface of the jar  -- not shown in the picture. Picture shows my first effort at a 8-oz cozy which I used for several years - I now prefer the bigger ones.

      If you don't like to make one yourself, an insulated bottle holder might work, though not quite as well

      On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Ray Rippel ray.rippel@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Good day, group,

      I saw a graphic the other day called "The Daily Routines of Famous Creative People". I suspect you could Google it and find it. It's kind of neat.

      It got me thinking about hiking routines for multi-day trips of severals days or more. Here's mine, approximately:

      00:00 to 4:30 Sleep

      04:30 - 5:00 Pack up

      05:00 - 6:30 Hike

      06:30 - 7:30 Breakfast

      07:30 - 9:30 Hike

      9:30 - 10:00 Break

      10:00 - Noon Hike

      Noon - 13:30 Lunch/Nap

      13:30 - 15:30 Hike

      15:30 - 16:00 Break

      16:00 - 18:00 Hike

      18:00 - 19:30 Set Up Camp, Supper, Explore, Visit Other with Hikers

      19:30 - 20:30 Read in Tent

      20:30 - 00:00 Sleep

      Obviously, I don't stick to this religiously, especially on days when a pass is involved, but this is sort of the "template" I use.

      I would be very interested in other peoples routine, either posted to this message, or sent to me at ray.rippel [at] gmail [dot] com, with "Daily Routine" in the subject line.

      Once I have a dozen or so, I'll make a similar graphic and post it on the blog.

      Thanks, Ray

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic