45344Re: [John Muir Trail] food

    Jul 26, 2014
      Perfect. I haven't tried shipping the Baby Bels -- so take my worries with a considerable grain of salt. Looks like those with actual experience have spoken.

      On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 12:35 PM, es hikeinyo@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      John,
      The reason I went with babybel is because they were recommended by Roleigh Martin and they are easy to pack in the bear canister
      Thanks
      Eric

      On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM, John Ladd johnladd@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I'd be nervous about the BabyBell as the buckets can get hot and moist inside. I'd substitute a dry, hard cheese like a Peccorino Romano, Parmigiana Reggiano or of a hard Monterrey Jack. As others have said, tortillas and Nido should be fine.

      On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM, es hikeinyo@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      There has been lots of conversation around the topic of food.  I was reading a discussion on BPL site about Nido.   I assumed that Nido sent in resupply buckets will be ok.  I have never sent a resupply bucket 3 weeks out.  Can the members in this group reassure me that the nido will be ok?   This is my first thru hike so I am having anxiety around the resupply items. Especially with  babybel cheese, tortillas, and now nido!  I guess because this is my first time I want to get it right.  Part of me thinks that I need to stop second guessing myself.   I think this is a normal response three weeks before I start my hike.

      Thanks

      Eric

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic