45334Re: food [Nido]

  • straw_marmot
    Jul 26, 2014
      If powdered milk is kept completely dry, then it will last at least several months.   Ideally, leave it in the original packaging, unopened.  That's not always convenient with Nido or Peak in the large tins;  Backpackers Pantry do 4oz foil sachets of full-fat powedered milk, although I think Nido and Peak are superior products - they seem to dissolve more easily and taste better to me.

      Even if you've repackaged into ziplocs, you should not have any problem, the humidity in the Sierras is usually low.  Double bag to be safe;  you can also put a small silica gel dessicant packet (available on Amazon) in the ziploc with it.

      I would not risk pre-mixing powdered milk into anything that might contain moisture.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic