43440Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Elizabeth Wenk 5th Edition on Kindle

  • Dave Park
    Jun 19, 2014
      Thank you, Roleigh.

      If it improves the situation for others with oldfarteyetis, great :)

      Dave

      On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Roleigh Martin roleigh@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Dave, I forwarded your very reasonable font enlargement request to my book contacts.  Maybe it might be too late for the first edition of the data book, but maybe for reprint editions, who knows.  Elizabeth Wenk is out of reach temporarily.

      _

      On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Dave Park plasticuser@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I bought the 5th edition and I am quite unhappy with some aspects of it. It will sadly be unusable on the trail.

      The data it contains is first rate, but a little scattered and disorganized. That is not really a problem though. It isn't really even inconvenient. I guess that it being a 5th revision, the author is so familiar with her content that she knows it intimately, and doesn't see how it comes across to a first time reader.

      The real problem for me, though, is that the writing on the maps and charts is *very* small - about 5- or 6-point at most. How small is that? *tiny* Sadly, it renders most of the maps and charts unreadable to many in their 50s+. Given the amount of white space on the charts, how hard would it have been to use a larger font?

      No disrespect to the author, because this is a layout problem. Great work ruined by poor presentation of the graphs and maps.

      Dave

      On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Jmt jmtorbust@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thanks, Roleigh!

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 19, 2014, at 11:56 AM, "Roleigh Martin roleigh@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Information from the publisher's marketing rep.
      _