41896Re: [John Muir Trail] intinerary

  • es
    May 17 2:20 PM
      Ray,
      My base pack weight will be 14lbs. I will link my gear soon as well. I will carry one day of food from HI to TM. So maybe additional 2-3 lbs of food.   "Somewhat" of a day hike with an overnight.   I will carry 2 days worth of food from TM to RM.  I want to get out of the Yosemite crowds ASAP. I have done different parts of the JMT from Agnew Meadow to HI several times before.   I know that the crowds wilI pick up at RM again.  I also figured that from TM to Lyell Fork there is little elevation gain.  I have one day to play with.  What is your suggestion on the HI to RM hike?  I also wanted to spend the night at Thousand Island Lake (It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been).  I have backpacked in that area before with heavier gear (46lb for 5 days). I will turn 40, 4 days prior to my start date.  I plan on continuing my fitness program that I have used in the past, with a little more hiking.  I live in Phoenix and it is a little warm in July and August.  I will be spending 7 days in June At Lake Tahoe and will be doing a 5 day backpacking trip with my wife and 2 kids the first week in July, leaving out of Agnew Meadow and ending in Yosemite.    So I should have a better assessment of my situation at that time.
      Thanks
      Eric
      On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Ray Rippel ray.rippel@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Good day, Eric,

      First, I think the more planning the better. Sure, no plan survives first contact with the enemy, but regardless, I can think of no better way to ensure your success and enjoyment than planning well.

      Second, either itinerary looks good, but both suffer from what would be a critical flaw for me (although it may work out great for you). Four days from Happy Isles to Red's Meadow is, well, quite a hike. It's interesting that your post-Red's Meadow mileage is only 8% more ambitious than what I've done twice, but between HI & RM you are 33% more ambitious.

      I should quickly add that I don't know your age, fitness level, or what the weight of your gear is. I am NOT saying that four days is all that difficult for someone who is prepared, physically and gear-wise, for that stretch. What I am saying is this: your post-Red's Meadow daily effort is much less difficult than your pre-Red's Meadow daily effort. If you meant for it to be that way, great. If you are thinking that this is a slow start, or that the degree of difficulty is about the same throughout, I think you may find that you front loaded a little too much.

      Good hiking, Ray

      Ray Rippel
      Author, Planning Your Thru-Hike of the John Muir Trail

      .

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic