41886RE: [John Muir Trail] Daytime Bear Safety

  • ravi_jmt2013
    May 17, 2014
      I never let my pack out of my sight on the trail and always separate my food (canister or bag) from my pack when in camp with all of my things other than food going inside the tent if I'm planning to leave the immediate area.  I never had a problem with anything trying to get into my tent.

      Bob is right about the smaller critters.  On Half Dome, I set up my small tripod to take a picture of myself and left my small day pack next to the tripod.  When I got back to my pack, a squirrel was halfway inside and had my tube of suncreen in its mouth, which it subsequently dropped a few feet away after I chased it off.  On the other hand, my tent was left set up in LYV for several hours while I hiked Half Dome and was undisturbed.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic