41463Re: [John Muir Trail] 1944 version of the Starr Guide map.

  • ravi_jmt2013
    May 1, 2014
      "I also see it goes around the west end of Garnet Lake."

      This is really interesting.  I have the 1970 version of the Starr Guide map and the trail near Garnet Lake shows its current alignment to the east of the lake and what appears to be a side trail circling Garnet to the west.  The 1970 map also shows the JMT extending all the way to Whitney Portal with a spur trail (in red) leading to the summit of Mt. Whitney.  Another notable difference is that Edison Lake appears on my 1970 map, and didn't exist in the earlier edition.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic