414451944 version of the Starr Guide map.

    Apr 30, 2014
      Thanks to the generosity of the Sierra Club, the following link will lead you to a folder that includes seven color scans taken from the 1944 map that accompanied the 3rd edition (1946) of the Starr Guide. It covers the JMT and a good deal of the High Sierra surrounding the trail.

      Due to the size of the map, I scanned it in 4 main sections from north to South.

      I then made 3 scans that overlap the other 4. For example Map 1.5 includes half of Map 1 (the mostly Northerly part) and half of Map 2 (the next section to the South.

      I  thank the Colby Memorial Library, Sierra Club and the Sierra Club itself for use of its historical archives and for its permission to use this map.

      Map prepared for use with Guide to the John Muir Trail and the High Sierra Region by Walter A. Starr, Jr. (San Francisco: Sierra Club Books, 1944).  Copyright © 1970 by Sierra Club.

      This version was scanned from the 3rd Edition of the Guide (1946) and the map bears the copyright date of 1944.

      Sierra Club gave me permission to post the map and the link on April 30, 2014.

      You can download and print the maps for your personal use (only) from the above link. Please do not share the map more broadly without getting permission from the Sierra Club. You may give other JMT hikers the bit.ly link above if accompanied by the same crediting and copyright information included in this e-mail posting.