41310RE: [John Muir Trail] Knee strengthening exercises?

  • robert shattuck
    Apr 26, 2014
      " I'm a little worried that I will have knee trouble if I don't do some extra exercises. "

      Nancy,

      I have absolutely no medical experience––or whatever they say as a disclaimer––but you might find that doing some extra exercises might not actually be good for you.

      If you're "hiking, biking, running some" then that might be just the ticket, as well as just taking your time. If you start taking on some very specific exercises, like someone says do 50 squats a day or use this or that machine, you might just be targeting such a specific area that you tweak something out.

      No need to mess yourself up trying something new just before you're about to get on the trail––but if you do anything, you might just start carrying a backpack on some of these walks that you do, just to get the body, the knees, used to carrying the load.

      BOB SHATTUCK