41305RE: [John Muir Trail] Tuolumne Backpackers' Campground

  • robert shattuck
    Apr 26, 2014
      "On the Yosemite Park website, it indicates that the backpackers' campground at Tuolumne Meadows is only open in July?"

      this is a good one and a possible small dilemma . . . How late in June?

      http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm

      It also states that the valley BC is open starting in April, so maybe the idea is a practical one in that T M is perhaps under a good bit of snow in usually in June, while the valley has very little left?

      Ahhh, the beauty of late August.

      I can't see them turning you away, but if for some reason you really can't stay there. I'd make a day of getting from Cathedral lakes and all the way up through Lyell Canyon to at least legal camping at the Vogelsang junction.

      Not to upset the purists, but if I was pressed with a task such as this, I might just cheat this section––come down from Cathedral, hit 120 and take the free shuttle all the way to the JMT trailhead at the yosemite lodge parking lot––of course you could stop at the store and ranger station just to ask about the B C, pick up a resupply and get a burger, then jump on the next bus––this would save you about six or so miles and the time.

      BOB SHATTUCK