41298Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: A Little Humor On Trekking Poles And Going Light!

  • Mike Bake well
    Apr 26, 2014
      While waiting for a ride out of Kennedy Meadows south, I noted those with and without bear cans. Dip, who was looking after the trail angel stop, was all over those without a can. He was setting up those who didn't have one and castigating the only one who felt he didn't "need" one.
      The result during the three days I was there was one out of the numerous hikers left without a can.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 26, 2014, at 9:37 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

      On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Joslyn Davisson <richardandjoslyn@...> wrote:
      I just wanted to say if that was your experience of UL backpackers, I apologize on the behalf of all UL backpackers.  We're not all like that.

      Joslyn --

      It is NOT my experience of UL hikers and certainly not of all UL hikers. And especially not of you.

      I do find that a minority of the PCT thru-hikers (some UL, some not) argue that they "don't need no stinking bearcans".

      Those are the only people I was criticizing, not PCT thrus in general, and not UL hikers at all. I didn't mention UL hikers in my post and didn't mean to suggest the problem lay with them - it is a subset of PCT thrus that I have that problem with and what set me off on my tirade was JMTorBust's posting reflecting on the blogger that's been the subject of this thread. Humorous she is, but if she disregards bearcan requirements, I'm pretty critical of that (as I gather Joslyn is).

      I was suggesting that failure to carry a bearcan was analogous to asking other people to share their shelters (meant as humorous exaggeration) to suggest that she (the trekking pole blogger) can get away with leaving a bearcan behind only because the rest of us are willing to carry the damn thing. Exaggeration is a sangerous thing on these forums and I think some readers misunderstood the comment.

      I understand the confusion created by my post as there's a high proportion of PCT attempters (and a somewhat smaller proportion of PCT completers) that are UL hikers. And the blogger was an UL hiker. But my comment was unrelated to total weight - just to avoiding that particular item of weight and suggesting it was analogous to asking to share a shelter (which I'm sure no one would do).

      BTW, I wouldn't hesitate to ask folks for food if I don't have enough and they have too much (not uncommon north of Reds as people learn their food needs, or even north of MTR). I might need some of that this summer to stay on the trail long enough to get the number of survey respondents I'm targeting.