      From: Derek Peters <specracer64@...>
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Lunch Suggestions
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, May 1, 2009, 3:38 PM

      I have a couple of homemade favorites. I'm a peanut butter fan and found a recipe that mixes skim milk power and some other ingredients that turn peanut butter into a dry uncooked cookie.

      2 cups peanut butter

      2 cups low fat skim milk powder

      1/2 cup honey

      1 cup rolled oats.

      other stuff to suit you taste. (Nuts, coconut, wheat germ...)

      I like cocoa powder and coconut. No cooking needed. Just let it dry. I make it into a roll then make cuts so I can break off chunks easily.

      Makes 32 servings at 140 calories each.

      Hudson Bay bread is an hardy staple as well.

      2 stick butter

      1 1/2 cups sugar

      6 cups rolled oats

      2/3 cup honey

      1/2 cup raisins

      1/2 cup peanuts.

      Sub nuts and fruit as desired. Bake at 350F until golden brown. Makes 32 bars at 220 calories each.

      Some older recipes use brown sugar and molasses as well. The internet has lots of versions.

      This stuff was a staple on polar expeditions in the late 1800s. Lots of calories.

      I find I like my home cooks stuff better than those clif bars or power bar kind of things.

      These recipes are from my "Lipsmaking Backpacking" cook book.

      Derek