4109Re: [John Muir Trail] RE: Lunch Suggestions

  • Steve Schauer
    May 1, 2009
      I've always found lunch to be a challenging thing to plan. Usually we end up with crackers and. . . peanut butter, tuna, chicken, cheese. I get the Diamond Bakery soda crackers, or Diamond Bakery saloon pilot crackers. They are from Honolulu, but you can find them at some Asian stores and even Long's Drug Stores. They are very sturdy, and won't break up like regular saltines or Ritz.
      I like the idea of sun-dried tomatoes. If you can't find them at Trader Joes, they are easy to oven dry or in a dehydrator. Sprinkle the cut tomato with olive oil (or not), a little salt and pepper(or not) and dry on a cookie sheet in the oven at a low temp. Delicious! These would be great thrown into pasta with Parmesan cheese, but now I am talking about dinner, not lunch.
      Claire