      From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of robert shattuck
      Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:03 AM
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Lunch Suggestions

      Bill,
      y'all gonna need some contemplatin' food . . . something you can sit there and chew and chew and . . . all the while taking in the beauty and mystery that it all is. I get sick of "power bars" about as soon as I buy (But the winner is, TIGER MILK BARS) them. My all-time favorite is beef jerky, which takes a good while to chew and I never seem to tire or lose my craving and, consequently, I just don't mind sitting there, breathing, being, seeing . . . my new favorite though, is sun-dried tomatoes--they're about the same chewy consistency as jerky, if not more so. You can get them at trader joe, usually in $3 bags . . . they also compress nicely in a bear can. I get the Jerky at costco. good jerky, best deal. I find that anything I eat, that hurries me along--as in, these power bars make me gag--just kind of detracts from the moment--but that's just me . . . now if I coud figure out how to get a few quarts of ultra-chocolate ice cream out there . . .
      bob

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: backpackerman@...
      Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 03:57:43 -0700
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Lunch Suggestions

      Good Morning All,

      I'm coming up on my first JMT trip and am considering what foods to bring. I'm pretty well set for breakfasts (instant oatmeal packets & coffee) and dinners (repackaged freeze dried meals), but am wondering what suggestions those of you who have done the trip in the past would have for lunches.

      I'm thinking food that is quick and easy that can be eaten with as little muss and fuss as possible.

      Power bars, energy bars, foods that provide lots of calories to help replace what you lose during the day??

      Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

      Bill P.

      This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain
      information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
      not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or
      copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not
      the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at either the e-mail address or telephone
      number above and delete this e-mail from your computer. Thank you.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic