40751Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: TP Free

  • jerome provensal
    Apr 6, 2014
      Hi rrichey,

      I'm glad to see that some people see the advantages of that method.
      To answer your question: Squirt bottle + latex glove = ~ 1 ounce (30 grams)

      Pros:
         As long as you have water, you can carry on forever. I can't think of a more sustainable method
         No smelly TP/waste to carry
         Pretty hygienic since the skin never comes in contact with the waste. No poking-thru-the-TP accident.
         Latex glove is easier to clean/disinfect than hands
         As LNT as it gets
         Makes people at VVR, MTR, etc... happy that you aren't dumping crap in their trash
         Water makes the "waste" biodegrade faster

      Cons:
          Be willing to try something different
         Takes a bit of practice
          Leaves you with a wet (but clean!) butt

      Happy squirting!

      Jérôme  Blog / FB / LinkedIn / IG / Tumblr /

      On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 12:03 PM, <rrichey@...> wrote:

      Rick, I think your TP-less "system" is a really good idea. Have you weighed the components of your system? For comparison the average roll of Costco brand toilet paper weighs seven ounces (packed in and packed out) over 109 miles from Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal. This looks like it would be a good deal lighter as well as more hygienic if you use a washable latex glove.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic