40750Re: [John Muir Trail] GPS Waypoints

  • Ray Murray Yahoo
    Apr 6, 2014
      I use a 1:24000 map that has UTM grid coordinates. I look up the place on my map - determine what the grid coordinate is and enter into GPS.

      Be sure to check what map datum you are using and set your GPS to that datum.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Apr 6, 2014, at 12:10 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

      A lot of it is specific to your device but Garmin devices accept various formats and some of them can be found in a subfolder of our links area.

      For my very old low end Garmin (Foretrex 101), I use software called Expert GPS to edit collections of waypoints and to upload them to my device. I usually upload just the waypoints rather than the route.

      You can also go from Google Maps or Google earth to waypoint files in other formats.

      On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM, <deniseflygirl@...> wrote:

      What is the best way to create a GPS route and waypoints of major points of interest along the trail, such as passes, trail junctions, food drop points, etc? I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic