      From: Jessica Campbell <mountainjazzy@...>
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:44:49 AM
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Toothbrushes

      I think oral hygiene is very important and I am always looking for ways to reduce my impact on the environment. As far as toothpaste they make biodegradable neem,tea tree, and mint toothpaste that works great and can be buried when finished. As far as bathing I use lakes when I can, without soap of course, and wet wipes that you must pack out with the rest of your T.P. Being a women I worry about infections that we are susceptible to when outdoors for an extended time without bathing. Also washing your hands and arms either with bio soap (please bury,bio soap does not bio degrade in water!!) or anti- bac gel before cooking and handling food, is very impotant to prevent giardia. I have found more people transmit it through dirty hands and poor camp hygiene than actually getting it from there drinking water and having diarheaa on the go is the most unpleasent of things.
      I have learned a lot from other peoples ideas so I wanted to express mine for all of you who are still finding your grooves.
      See you all this summer!

      The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.- John Muir