      From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of matt
      Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 5:33 PM
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Questions on Bear containers

      Barbara,

      You are a wealth of information and a great help with trip planning. I am
      slightly confused though by your trip dates. I seems with this years snow
      pack thus far you are hitting the peak for mossies. I am sure there is a
      good reason, but why July?
      Matt

      --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

      > I've used a Bear Vault - both the smaller and larger versions. You can see
      > what's inside them but they can be a pain to open sometimes. Now I sue the
      > Wild Ideas Bearikade. These open using a quarter, but as long as you don't
      > lose your quarter, they are great. The lid is attached by a piece of
      cable,
      > so you don't misplace it. The two sizes - Weekender and expedition, each
      > hold more and are lighter weight than the equivalent Bear Vault. And you
      > can rent them rather than buy. And there is a special $50 flat rental rate
      > for thru hikers, including the JMT.
      >

      > The Expedition (holds food and fragrant toiletries for one for 9 days)
      fits