39086Re: [John Muir Trail] RE: Worst mosquito spots

    Feb 27, 2014
      Good point, I can't remember if it was those no-see-ums, black flies, or mosquitoes at my 3 spots, or a combination of the 3.

      _

      On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM, <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

      Personally, it never seemed to be bad for me in any particular place along any stretch of meadow as long as I was moving.  When I would stop to change shoes for water crossing, eat, BRB, etc. (esp. if it's not early morning) that's where I would notice them.

      Now the place I really was starting to lose it, not for mosquitoes but biting flies, was along the stretch of trail between Pinchot Pass and the suspension bridge where you are following Woods Creek.  I wanted my headnet for that one.

      I don't recall ever having to dive into my tent when I stopped for the night, but I used permethrin on my clothing, hat, long sleeves and pants so that kept me pretty well shielded.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic