39082Re: [John Muir Trail] Worst mosquito spots

  • Arla Hile
    Feb 27, 2014
      Thanks for that, rnperky.

      John, of course you're right! Although some of those meadows are looong and can be hard to avoid. I'm thinking more and more that with a trip like this you have to take it day by day.

      On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 9:12 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

      On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:38 AM, Arla Hile <crocov502@...> wrote:
      the one I've never figured out how to fix or deal with is mosquitoes.

      Shortest version of the answer: Don't camp or eat near water or meadows. Grab your water where you can, but don't stay there.

      Note that in the afternoon, with some wind there may be no mosquitoes near a lake but when the wind dies down they'll swarm. Worst time of day is near sunset and sunrise. Best staying well away from water on your campsites. You don't need a lot of wind exposure to avoid mosquitoes.

      Of course, the campsites in the guidebooks are always near water, but it's not at all hard to find good campsites elsewhere. And the dry sites are more likely to have good views and good stargazing.