37935Re: [John Muir Trail] What do you do with your stuff?

  • Robert
    Feb 6, 2014
      Go at least to the Center Basin Jct., or up to the camp spots on the ledge overlooking the valley and the cascade flowing down the rocks! I actually plan my trip to not stop anywhere in that section, but that may not be an option for everyone. The rangers I have spoken to call the area around Charlotte Lake, Kearsarge Lakes, and Vidette Meadows the 'bear triangle'. Lots of activity! I've seen one at Kearsarge Lakes now and three in the Vidette area now, but none at Charlotte Lake, so I can't vouch for that. There was a sign posted by a ranger about 4-5 years ago near Center Basin about a bear in that area doing a bluff-charge on a hiker. I'm not sure whatever happened about it? I would just plan on using a campsite that is near enough to a bear box, and stuff anything I didn't need in there, including my pack, if you happen to be in the area.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Arla Hile <crocov502@...> wrote:

      > Really? That's interesting.  Better to move along south of  the meadow?
      >
      > Arla
      >

      > I've long since learned that;) ! I have seen bears there on three different occasions now! We weren't camped by a bearbox either, which if I HAD to stop there again, would make sure to use. On the plus sides, me and my hiking partners got a great show, the bear didn't get any food, and I have some cool 'battle scars' on my Bearikade now;) !
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, robert shattuck <bobolonius@> wrote:
      > >

      > > " .... Camping in Vidette Meadows"
      > >

      > > Just a note---not the best place to camp as it's kind of a bear magnet.
      > >
      > > Bob Shattuck
      > >

      > On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:05 PM, Frank Dumville <frankdpct@...> wrote:
      >

      > I have heard reports of deer running off with trecking poles and other things, presumably for the salt. Humans aren't the only thieves out there. However, I wouldn't think that was the case at Trail Crest.
      >
      > I think it has been already mentioned but if you leave your pack unattended during the day remove the bear can and all smellables.
      >
      > I have found fresh bear prints in my campsite in the morning a few times but my bear can has never been disturbed.
      >
      > Frank
      >

      > On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:10 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
      >

      > >On;y 1 report of a theft in my 350 August-September survey respondents, but it was in a location similar to HD. A guy left his trekking poles at Trail Crest while he side-hiked to Whitney and they were gone when he returned. That's a low prevalence but in popular areas within 10 miles of a trailhead I guess I'd try to hide things where few would see them
      > >

      > >John Curran Ladd
      > >1616 Castro Street
      > >San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
      > >415-648-9279