37929RE: Wildflower session on JMT

  • cehauser1
    Feb 6, 2014

      John:

      You beat me to it!  The reason is that many of the mountain wildflowers are pollinated by mosquitoes, so the mosquitoes and mountain flowers peak about the same time.  Most people don't know this, but mosquitoes get most of their nutrition from flower nectar, like bees.  Male mosquitoes don't suck blood, and the females only suck blood because they need the protein (and perhaps other nutrients) to produce their eggs.

      Chris.

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johndittli@...> wrote:

      You'll usually see the best flowers when the mosquitos are at there peak, normally around the 3rd week in July. Last year, despite the dry winter, the perennials were outrageous in early July. I'm guessing due to the prolonged sun and persistent watering during the summer.

      JD

      Inline image 1Inline image 2

      On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Lynn Alexander <drlynnalexander@...> wrote:

      The best time is in high precipitation years. This year with an historic drought, the wildflowers are likely to be minimal no matter when you go.
      Lynn

      On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Swamy LLM <llmswamy@...> wrote:

      What is the best times to see wildflower on JMT  ?
      Not expecting much on 11K and above elevations. How about rest of the route under 11K ?
      I think, we see flower about 3 or 4 weeks after snow melt at these elevations.
      I planned my trip based on that assumption; but want to check with expert JMT'er here.

      thanks
      Swamy

      --
      John Dittli/Leslie Goethals