37927Re: [John Muir Trail] What do you do with your stuff?

  • robert shattuck
    Feb 5, 2014
      Really? That's interesting.  Better to move along south of  the meadow?

      They had a few bear boxes in Vidette, then within the last two years they removed them, but yeah, after my experience there and others I have heard about and seen, I have always preferred to hit Vidette and just keep going.

      Maybe it's just me, but when I do drop there, just for water or break, I just spend way too much time constantly looking around---lots of trees and coverage.

      Your attitude and results may vary, but I prefer the higher ground anyway and spending the evening hours looking at where I came from and where I get to go in the morning---over Forester.

      It's about another three or so miles up and out of Vidette to get to the plateau, or base of Forester and well worth it to get the views----there is one large camp spot mid-way on the right and very obvious. There's still a box here as I recall---but if you keep going you'll hit the plateau and several options for camping, with easily accessible water.....sit up here and enjoy the evening light show, or hang out back in the trees of Vidette and wait for the bears :)

      Bob Shattuck

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Feb 5, 2014, at 10:42 PM, "Arla Hile" <crocov502@...> wrote:

      Really? That's interesting.  Better to move along south of  the meadow?

      I've long since learned that;) ! I have seen bears there on three different occasions now! We weren't camped by a bearbox either, which if I HAD to stop there again, would make sure to use. On the plus sides, me and my hiking partners got a great show, the bear didn't get any food, and I have some cool 'battle scars' on my Bearikade now;) !

      > " .... Camping in Vidette Meadows"

      > Just a note---not the best place to camp as it's kind of a bear magnet.

      > Bob Shattuck

      On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:05 PM, Frank Dumville <frankdpct@...> wrote:
      I have heard reports of deer running off with trecking poles and other things, presumably for the salt. Humans aren't the only thieves out there. However, I wouldn't think that was the case at Trail Crest.
      I think it has been already mentioned but if you leave your pack unattended during the day remove the bear can and all smellables.
      I have found fresh bear prints in my campsite in the morning a few times but my bear can has never been disturbed.

      On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:10 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
      On;y 1 report of a theft in my 350 August-September survey respondents, but it was in a location similar to HD. A guy left his trekking poles at Trail Crest while he side-hiked to Whitney and they were gone when he returned. That's a low prevalence but in popular areas within 10 miles of a trailhead I guess I'd try to hide things where few would see them