37922Re: [John Muir Trail] What do you do with your stuff?

  • Frank Dumville
    Feb 5, 2014
      I have heard reports of deer running off with trecking poles and other things, presumably for the salt. Humans aren't the only thieves out there. However, I wouldn't think that was the case at Trail Crest.

      I think it has been already mentioned but if you leave your pack unattended during the day remove the bear can and all smellables.

      I have found fresh bear prints in my campsite in the morning a few times but my bear can has never been disturbed.

      Frank

      On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:10 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

      On;y 1 report of a theft in my 350 August-September survey respondents, but it was in a location similar to HD. A guy left his trekking poles at Trail Crest while he side-hiked to Whitney and they were gone when he returned. That's a low prevalence but in popular areas within 10 miles of a trailhead I guess I'd try to hide things where few would see them