3789Re: [John Muir Trail] headnets and sat phones

  • Steve Schauer
    Mar 2, 2009
      We used an Iridium phone that we rented online. We bought an hour of phone time with it. We decided to go with the Iridium because they said that Globalstar was "repositioning" their satellites, and didn't have as good coverage. You'll just have to investigate what is happening now. Be sure to charge the batteries before you leave. They might work when you get the phone, but not be fully charged. We had a battery pack sent to a resupply about half way. We turned the phone on every other evening for a short time in case a family member needed to contact us. You can also buy an answering service, but we didn't do that. I was looking back on my trail journal, and I see that we only used it twice on the trail, just to check in with the family. When we got to the top of Whitney, we called them to say, "We made it!!" just so we could use up the minutes. At Tuolomne, vermillion, and MtR we used the internet to send out an email, to save battery power.

      Steve was more in favor of carrying the sat phone (so he did). We didn't see that many people on the trail on any given day,so if you did get hurt or sick, it could really be helpful. I noticed you had to have a clear view of the southern sky to get good reception.

      As far as Spot or sat phone, for us, we were more concerned that we might be needed at home, so our families needed to be able to contact us.

      Hope this helps. We got our permit for this year, we'll be on the southern part of the trail on Aug 15-25.