36488Re: [John Muir Trail] Maps

    Jan 4, 2014
    The halfmile pct app on the IPhone is great as it shows you how far to go to next junction , trail head , water hole , or camp site. If you do a spur trail to get resupply it tells you how far to go to trailhead etc. I ended using it. 99% of the time on the JMT.

    App Store pic below.

    image.png

    Sent from my iPhone
    See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
    http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

    On Jan 4, 2014, at 9:55 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

    By memory, at least, the Tom Harrison maps show more of the sidetrips and bailout routes than the Postholer ones which are very narrowly focused on the trail. Also hard with a home (or even office) printer to get the crisp clarity of the TH maps. But it is a place where you can save some money, the Postholer ones can do the trick. I've used them on other parts of the PCT and they are relaible (occasionally the captions of features overlap each other).

    The Halfmile series are also looking at. - PCT Section California H at

    He also has useful GPS waypoints and tracks

    On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 3:44 PM, <berdomb@...> wrote:

    Anyone use Postholers free maps for the JMT?
    Look good (40 pages) and very detailed PDF

    How do these compare to the Harrison maps?  or Eriks Atlas?

  • Show all 14 messages in this topic