36128Re: [John Muir Trail] RE: Permit options for short first day

  • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
    Dec 18, 2013
      There's nothing wrong with taking a bus if it's there. This year exiting the trail at Tuolumne onto the road - having missed the trail signs to the backpackers camp - and starting the walk along the road, the bus came up, I hopped on, and didn't feel at all guilty about that. It saved me maybe 2 miles hike, but by that time in the late afternoon, it was very welcome.

      Ken.

      > Mitch, just a note, but yeah, making that 15 a day can be a chore for the first few days. If for whatever reason you need to make up a day, I would suggest, once you get to thousand islands, that you cut down and take the River Trail and (horrors!!!!) catch the free shuttle bus at Agnew meadows which will get you to Reds in about 20 minutes and knock off probably an entire days worth of miles.
      >
      > Bob Shattuck

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic