35937Re: [John Muir Trail] Reno to YV on a Sun.???

    Dec 4, 2013
      Don't get a traditional return trip flight; get instead a multi-destination flight (traditionally called a "open jaw" ticket).  Fly into either SF/Merced/Fresno -- your pick.  Merced is the easiest but will cost a little more.  Return from Reno.  Make sure your arrival dates at Lone Pine are on the day before a bus leaves for Reno, and your arrival date/time at Tuolume Meadows coincides with Post Office times there.

      On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM, <kent.mclemore@...> wrote:

      Two of us are aiming to hike SoBo from HI to WP next Sept. We've got that part dialed in. What we can't figure out is how to get from our homes in the midwest to YV!
      We had planned to arrive in Reno on the Sun. before Labor Day, catch ESTA to Lee Vining, spend Sunday night there then catch the morning YARTS to YV. Unfortunately, ESTA does not operate on Sundays or Labor Day. Are there alternatives to getting from Reno to YV on a Sun.? We can get a great deal on airfare, so we are amenable to incurring some additional expense. We'd rent a car one way if there was an agency near the Valley. Any advice greatly appreciated.

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic