      From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of John Ladd
      Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 11:57 AM
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Can anyone comment on the drive up to Vermillion Resort Can anyone comment on the drive up to Vermillion Resort or Florence Lake?

      Having driven to and from VVR and Florence lake several times each, I'd agree with the other comments and only add that it is easier if you can avoid the times when you are most likely to run into people driving in the opposite direction with boat trailers. I.e., I'd avoiding driving toward either lake on a Sunday afternoon or outbound late Friday or early Saturday. When a car (or, more often, big pickup) with a trailer comes toward you on the narrow Kaiser Pass Road, it's you who ends up backing up. Not too bad if you are with someone else who can get out of the car and help you back up into a place wide enough to allow a pass, but can be a bit scary when you are doing it without help. There are places where ypu have to back up a pretty fair distance before you find a place wide enough to allow the car and boat to pass, The need to back up is the only place where I got particularly nervous, though there are plenty places where I went slow. I was in passenger cars each time (Scion XD and Toyota Camry)

      On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

      I have a friend who is considering hiking the JMT next year and leaving at either VVR or MTR.  He has relatives in San Francisco and wants to know what the car ride is like to either Florence Lake or Vermillion Resort.  Does one need a four wheel drive car for both destinations, or just one (which one)?  Is the ride "rough on a car"?  Anyone remember the amount of time to drive after leaving a decent highway?

      Thanks.

      _

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic