35762RE: ride from mt whitney/lone pine to nearest airport

  • don.amundson
    Nov 18, 2013

      Hitching a ride from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine is a cinch.  Commercial shuttles are available at a cost:

      http://climber.org/data/shuttles.html

      The nearest airport is at Mammoth that has daily flights to Los Angeles LAX. I have never figured out why people go to Reno unless you like a 6 hour bus ride.  Run the numbers for the cost from Mammoth to where ever you want to go, connecting through LAX.  The last time I checked it was cheaper going through Mammoth than Reno when you factor in the bus fare to Reno.

      You might get real lucky if you ask the question when everyone is finalizing their plans and have their dates confirmed.  Someone who has a car waiting at the portal may be hiking out the same day you are.

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <morish_idol@...> wrote:

      looking for a ride from mt whitney/lone pine  to nearest airport (reno, las vegas) for July or August 2014.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic