35761Re: [John Muir Trail] ride from mt whitney/lone pine to nearest airport

    Nov 18, 2013
      Roleigh - Thanks for the correction. I forgot it could be done without a transfer in Mammoth Lakes.

      My plans for next year, if I go northbound again, may involve SF to Reno by air, Reno to Lone Pine by the Hwy 395 bus route you mention, and then commercial shuttle (probably East Side Sierra Shuttle) to the Horseshoe Meadows trailhead. Looks as if I could do that any weekday except Wednesday, if the schedule doesn't change.

      I'm thinking of taking 14 days to hike from there to Muir Trail Ranch at a moderate pace (including a few pack-free sidetrips) and having my wife join me at MTR for a few days of luxury, hot springs and dayhiking together before the drive home. Assumes she's willing to do the Kaiser Pass drive alone (she doesn't love the last narrow windy stretch)

      I like the southern half of the trail better than the northern half - fewer people, better scenery, fewer near-trail temptations. But the plan is still evolving. Not sure if I'd try to carry 14 days of food (ugh - weight) or try for a resupply out of Onion Valley TH (ugh - cost).

      On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

      At the links page John gives, the majority of people go with the Crest bus from Lone Pine to Reno -- see http://www.estransit.com/CMS/content/395-routes for "Lone Pine to Reno" schedule.  I've used this bus twice now.

      _

      On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

      Not sure if you are asking for a trail angel, but if not:

      A common route is to hitch from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine, then bus from Lone Pine to Reno airport. Will require a bus connection, probably in Mammoth Lakes. (I'm going by memory, but hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong). Summer schedules are different than winter, and may change from year to year, so you may not be able to look them up yet. Does not run all days of the week.

      Various options linked here, though they may change from year to year

      On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM, <morish_idol@...> wrote:

      looking for a ride from mt whitney/lone pine  to nearest airport (reno, las vegas) for July or August 2014.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic