35475RE: Charges possible for Boy Scouts leaders who toppled Utah rock formation

  • cehauser1
    Oct 20, 2013

      In my personal experience, there is a lot to be desired.  I've looked at a number of Boy Scout camps, and it seems like they put their infrastructure and activities above everything:  rare wetlands destroyed or endangered salmon streams dammed to create canoe ponds, critical habitat for an endangered plant destroyed so they could build a cafeteria.  Much of this stuff is against the law, but they act like they are doing God's work so the laws shouldn't apply to them.  This is just what I've observed on the ground, but I don't know what they are teaching the kids directly.

      Perhaps more comments should go onto the sidebar.

      Chris.

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <kenjessett@...> wrote:

      They were setting a very poor example, and the idiot obviously thought up the 'danger' excuse when his moronic behaviour hit the video waves.

      Ken.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Cathey <b.cathey@...> wrote:

      > I wonder how much Leave No Trace is emphasized in the Scouts at the local level? Obviously, not enough:
      >
      > <http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/19/charges-possible-for-boy-scouts-who-toppled-utah-rock-formation/>
      >
      > <http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/18/21023331-utah-scout-leaders-who-topped-ancient-rock-we-did-something-right-the-wrong-way?lite>
      >
      > "This is about saving lives," Dave Hall, who shot the video, told The Associated Press on Friday. "One rock at a time." ... "My conscience won't let me walk away knowing that kids could die," Hall said. ... But he also said, "One more rock falling to the ground is not going to destroy the beauty of the park. Eventually, the erosion brings all of them down."
      >
      > I wonder if he thinks we should bring in some earthmovers and make the slopes a little more gentle and safe around the Grand Canyon rim. And maybe organize a campaign to kill off all the bears, mountain lions, etc., just to be sure it's safe out there :o(
      >
      > bill

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic