35329Re: [John Muir Trail] Donald Downs

  • Carol Wall
    Oct 2, 2013
      I did and made my daughter walk way back to see it - which was a long way.  Glad to see this site is back to its courteous style.  And, thanks to Ray R., for sound trail advice during our SOBO time, as well as suggesting that hysteria might not have played a part in the 2 mtn lion misadventures.  Thanks also to John Ladd for the attempts at balance and the encouraging trail greeting.  We'll get to survey.  Oh, and our pole tips stayed on the whole trail.  Happy hiking, Carol

      Sent from my iPad

      On Oct 2, 2013, at 5:44 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

      I'm curious how many of you noticed the plaque memorializing Donald I Downs, who died in an accident while building the trail over Forester Pass

      <2013 09 02 Forester Pass Donald Downs 1255040171_16819.jpg>

      The plaque is about 75% of the way down the switchbacks South of the Pass. It is oriented in a way that it is easy to notice while hiking northbound. But hiking from the more usual direction, it essentially is hidden behind a boulder and you only notice it if you look over your shoulder.