35315Re: [John Muir Trail] Donald Downs

  • Larry Beck
    Oct 2, 2013
      I've seen it! The poor guy was just 18 years old about a month from his 19th birthday!
      From: Bill Hegardt <bill@...>
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, October 2, 2013 10:23 AM
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Donald Downs
      Nope, it is Forester pass. I saw it southbound, but I was on the lookout for it. There was a pile of rocks marking it as well which helped.

      - Bill
      On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:
      In barely awake (where's my coffee?) and on my cell, but don't you mean GLEN PASS?
      Sent from my iPhone
      On Oct 2, 2013, at 5:45 AM, "John Ladd" <johnladd@...> wrote:
      I'm curious how many of you noticed the plaque memorializing Donald I Downs, who died in an accident while building the trail over Forester Pass

      <2013 09 02 Forester Pass Donald Downs 1255040171_16819.jpg>

      The plaque is about 75% of the way down the switchbacks South of the Pass. It is oriented in a way that it is easy to notice while hiking northbound. But hiking from the more usual direction, it essentially is hidden behind a boulder and you only notice it if you look over your shoulder.

      John Curran Ladd
      1616 Castro Street San Francisco, CA  94114-3707415-648-9279
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic