35312Re: [John Muir Trail] Donald Downs

  • robert shattuck
    Oct 2, 2013
      I've found the plaque once and have always remembered it as being on the south side of Glen .... Ha, no wonder I haven't found it since then.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 2, 2013, at 5:45 AM, "John Ladd" <johnladd@...> wrote:

      I'm curious how many of you noticed the plaque memorializing Donald I Downs, who died in an accident while building the trail over Forester Pass

      <2013 09 02 Forester Pass Donald Downs 1255040171_16819.jpg>

      The plaque is about 75% of the way down the switchbacks South of the Pass. It is oriented in a way that it is easy to notice while hiking northbound. But hiking from the more usual direction, it essentially is hidden behind a boulder and you only notice it if you look over your shoulder.