35261RE: Google honors Yosemite NP and the JMT

  • chelsealee808
    Oct 1, 2013

      We are supposed to start the JMT tomorrow and due to the shutdown, was wondering if anyone knew if this would be possible? Also, we were planning on parking a car at Mt. Whitney but I do not know if this is even an option now and was hoping someone could advise.

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <MrRedwood@...> wrote:

      Folks with permits are apparently allowed to stay on trail until the permits expire, so anyone still NoBo on the JMT is presumably safe.  But no new permits are being issued, so hiking up from a Yosemite trailhead is a citable offense, so "closed" does have a legal meaning, even if there's no fence and locked gate.

      But what about someone starting a backcountry hike outside where self-registration is okay? That's probably a loophole big enough to hike through for a few late-season backpackers.

      The scenery is still there. Wildlife is on furlough, however. The big pump that keeps the streams flowing is only being operated at its minimum power setting.
      --

      Richard

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <barbara@...> wrote:

      And how will they stop people using the trails?  You can't put a fence around a wilderness.
      On Oct 1, 2013, at 10:18 AM, Rick Martyn <rickmartyn@...> wrote:

      Nope.

      On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM, <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

      Painfully ironic.  Are people allowed to use the trails?

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic