35252Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Rubber Trekking Pole Tip Protectors/Walking Tips

  • Dittli-Goethals
    Oct 1, 2013
      As I stated in a previous post, I have a collection of the things myself. But it goes WAY beyond pole tips. Of course people aren't trying to loose them, that is why those of us that pick them up are making the point; they fall off.

      ~3500 JMT thru permits were written in Yosemite alone this summer. Thousands of others were written from other trailheads. We, as a collective group, have to be hyper aware of what were doing out there. We can't afford to just "blow it off" and say "oh I didn't mean to drop that".

      If we know something is a potential problem, we ALL need to address that problem. The cumulative impacts by us all are staggering and you usually won't notice them until you've worked and lived out there. It can all work, but we really need to stay on top of it.

      JD

      On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Mark Liechty <news@...> wrote:

      On Oct 1, 2013, at 11:36 AM, Dittli-Goethals <johndittli@...> wrote:
      No "we" don't need to be lectured on litter but apparently you do, if you seriously think "unintentionally dropped" trash is not litter as you suggested.

      Please, tend to your trash, tend to your equipment and don't leave it out there for others to deal with
      ##########

      Guys, i was not trying to start a war when talking about the litter these rubber tips become.

      I First noticed them as a "problem" while hiking at the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.  About 250K Acres of the most clean trails you can imagine hiked by over 10,000 teenaged are year …. none of whom know how to clean a bedroom <grin>.

      There were days when the only trash I found on the trail were a couple of these tips.  It became a bit of an obsession since you have to look to notice them and when back in north CA I now seldom go for a hike where i do not see at least one of them.

      I am 100% certain that those who lose them are not trying to make a mess and my point in the observation is that these things are great to keep from poking a hole in your pack during travel but not so much for use on the trail.

      They probably do much better in the city on sidewalk but then why would you be using the poles?

      --
      John Dittli/Leslie Goethals
      John Dittli Photography

      2010  IPPY Gold Medal Award Winner