35239RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Rubber Trekking Pole Tip Protectors/Walking Tips

  • johndittli
    Oct 1, 2013

      Your kidding right? Maybe it's semantics, but if it's something that is discarded, whether purposely or not, it is litter!!! As an ex-ranger I can tell you that you can be sited for a wrapper that inadvertently falls out of your pocket. Likewise trash that might inadvertently blow away from camp. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE!!! Rubber tips ARE LITTER, and all that have read this thread now know that they are likely to fall off. So now, if they are left behind, it IS indeed deliberately discarded and there is absolutely no excuse.

      I'll step down from my soap pox....

      JD

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Litter?

      Not so, since beer bottles and candy wrappers are deliberately discarded, whereas the rubber tips are not.

      Ken.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Mark Liechty <news@...> wrote:

      > Just a matter of what catches you eyes. I pick up about a dozen of these tips a year. They are litter, not unlike empty beer bottle or candy wrappers.

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic