35230RE: Rubber Trekking Pole Tip Protectors/Walking Tips

  • rand
    Sep 30, 2013

      They may not be required on the JMT......but I just got back from the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu and they were required there.   I had two different style rubber tips with me.   One wore through the bottom in a day and the carbide tips were poking out after that.   The other style lasted much longer.   The worst style was the one  with a flat bottom......the better one had a rounded bottom with kind of a knurled surface.

      Hope that helps.

      Rand

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jotslibrarylist@...> wrote:

      Kent-
      I really liked the rubber tips on my trekking poles, but didn't realize how much until one of the rock packed trails ate one of my tips. I was lucky in that I didn't lose the first tip until the second half of the trip. The second tip, however, was fast to follow. I found that on creek crossings and on the trail in general, the rubber gave a little extra grip (non slip).
      Two pairs would probably do you for the whole trip.
      I did see a lot of the longer rubber thin tips on the trail. Mine were the shorter, thicker ones (for Black Diamond trekking poles).

      I've attached a pic of the type of trail that ate my tips. Not sure what it's called, but beware!

      JoT.