35225RE: RE: Rubber Trekking Pole Tip Protectors/Walking Tips

  • johndittli
    Sep 30, 2013

      So hopefully you will notice immediately if they come off, as not to leave them on the trail...

      John

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thanks all.

      I intended to use them to reduce noise (clickety clack) and trail impact. It sounds like trail impact is not an issue, and if they don't hold up or stay on the pole tips, they won't be reducing noise. I don't need rubber tips to protect my gear.

      -km

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnladd@...> wrote:

      They've done some research on the impact of carbide tipped trekking poles on trails. They don't seem to hurt trails in the Sierra and there is no reason to use the rubber protectors. I don't have time to find the study, but it is out there.

      However, the carbide tips are damaging to the wood bridges and I noticed a lot of bridge damage this year. People, PLEASE don't use your poles on bridges. The small nicks caused by the carbide tips are water entry and collection points leading to wood deterioration.

      On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 4:38 AM, <kent.mclemore@...> wrote:

      I'm considering these for the JMT next year but am wondering about durability. Will a pair last for 200+ miles of High Sierra hiking?

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic