35224Re: [John Muir Trail] rest time after thru-hike

    Sep 30, 2013
      For whatever it is worth, I did my first day of significant exercise today, 12 days post-trip. I hiked a course with good hills and a 42 lb training pack. There's a 2-mile uphill segment (600 ft of climb) where I tend to push hard on and keep track my times. I was about 2 minutes (5%) slower than my average time for that weight -- about the same as would be typical for me with a 50 lb back over that segment. So slower, but at least it felt as if I was well into recovery mode.

      I did do some toning classes in a gym in the interval before trying on a pack again (starting 6 days post-trip). Felt distinctly more fatigued than I considered normal. Maybe it will feel better this weekl

      On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Jo T <jotslibrarylist@...> wrote:

      Hello, all-
      So I finished my JMT thru-hike this week (trip report coming later), and was curious how much time people took after their trips before starting to work out again. My trip was 21 nights/22 days.

      I gave myself two days off, then did a short five mile hike today (no pack!!) and am exhausted. Yesterday it took me ALL DAY just to gear up to one trip (in the car!) to the local Target store. On the JMT, I was averaging 10-mile days in high elevation (37lb pack!) and much more challenging terrain (of course) then what is at our local nature preserve.

      Prior to the trip, I had been hiking 4x/week about 5 miles each time (elevation not even a factor), plus gym 3x/wk 1.5 hours each session (mostly core and weight training).

      Any info/feedback on what worked for you is appreciated. I know everyone is different.

      JoT.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic