35217RE: rest time after thru-hike

  • whcobbs
    Sep 30, 2013

       JoT--

      The experience you describe is also familiar to marathoners and others who do extensive endurance training culminating in an extended depletion event.  It tends to frustrate the goal of a continued training program.  What usually works (assuming you are not injured), is a series of easy abbreviated workouts alternate days, the goal at first  being just to get a warm-up.  After about 10 days you should be ready for more challenging workouts.  A related phenomenon is an emotional crash following the suspension/interruption of endurance training.  This too is familiar to endurance-trained athletes and their trainers in the setting of injury.  The usual solution is to get back to some form of aerobic training.  In the event of complicating impact injuries, swimming or aquarobics usually works.

      Walt

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <groundhogsteve@...> wrote:

      When I was very much younger, I rode a bicycle across the country.  Upon finishing, I literally found it very painful to walk - all my muscles, tendons, and ligaments were set up for riding a bike - the short length pedal stroke, not a normal length walking stride.  Six months later I was still having trouble walking.

      For those who are runners, I can see the same thing happening on a JMT hike - the short hiking stride vs. the longer running stride.

      Even though I bailed really early on my JMT trip this month, I understand the whole diet thing.  I only planned on one Clif bar per day, but after six days of them I'm at the point that if I ever see another one of those in my life I think I'm gonna upchuck.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic