35207RE: RE: rest time after thru-hike

  • groundhogsteve
    Sep 29, 2013

      When I was very much younger, I rode a bicycle across the country.  Upon finishing, I literally found it very painful to walk - all my muscles, tendons, and ligaments were set up for riding a bike - the short length pedal stroke, not a normal length walking stride.  Six months later I was still having trouble walking.

      For those who are runners, I can see the same thing happening on a JMT hike - the short hiking stride vs. the longer running stride.

      Even though I bailed really early on my JMT trip this month, I understand the whole diet thing.  I only planned on one Clif bar per day, but after six days of them I'm at the point that if I ever see another one of those in my life I think I'm gonna upchuck.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic